Back to University - Home & Legacy has it covered

Posted on: 03 September 2019

Image shows a pile of books

With students across the UK preparing to move out of the family home and head off to university in the next few weeks, many of our brokers and policyholders are contacting us to enquire whether Home & Legacy household policies cover possessions in student accommodation.

Unlike standard policies, our household policies cover loss or damage to contents in premises away from home, whilst at university, college or school - and this includes halls of residence.

  • Prestige home - covers contents in student accommodation up to £5,000
  • Ultra Home - covers contents in student accommodation up to £10,000
  • Ultimate Home - covers contents in student accommodation up to 20% of the total contents sum insured

It is worth noting that loss or damage caused as a result of theft are not covered - unless violent and forcible means are used to enter and exit the building concerned.

All of our policies provide cover for retrieving or reconstructing records or any audio/visual files stored on a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone lost as a result of a loss or damage - up to £2,500 for any one event. This could help students recover lost work in the event of damage.

For more information about Home & Leagcy household insurance and to download the policy wordings, visit: