Travel Insurance enhanced to include epidemics and pandemics
Posted on: 08 September 2020
Home & Legacy Travel Insurance is enhanced to include cover for Epidemic and Pandemic Diseases
Home & Legacy Worldwide Multi-trip Travel Insurance is improved from 1st October 2020 (for new and renewing policies) to include some covers for epidemic and pandemic diseases including Covid-19.
Our new cover enhancements are designed to reflect the world we live in now and to help your customers travel with that extra peace of mind.
Our updated travel policy, which is available in conjunction with our household insurance policies, can provide customers with access to certain covers for Covid-19.
Cover is extended for cancellation or curtailment of a trip due to epidemic or pandemic diseases including Covid-19. Our emergency medical expenses cover is also extended to include epidemic or pandemic diseases, and to our Winter Sports option.
The annual premium for the travel policy from 1st October 2020 with the improved cover is £299.58 or £403.83 if the Winter Sports option is selected (inclusive of Insurance Premium Tax).
The new cover for epidemic and pandemic diseases will apply up to our existing policy limits (subject to terms and conditions):
- Cancellation of a trip because an insured person falls ill with a disease or is required to quarantine as a result of their exposure to the disease.
- Curtailment costs incurred if a trip must be cut short because an insured person falls ill with a disease while away and are in hospital for the rest of the trip
- Emergency medical costs if an insured person falls ill with a disease and also any costs incurred if quarantine is compulsorily ordered by the treating medical practitioner
- Costs incurred if an insured person is refused boarding on to their pre-booked public transport due to displaying symptoms of a disease
Please note the following important cover exclusions:
- There is no cover for any quarantine imposed that applies generally or broadly to some or all of a population.
- There is no cover for travel to any country if it is against the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or any other local authority.
Home & Legacy Underwriting & Markets Director, Adrian Ewington said:
“These timely and relevant updates to our travel insurance are intended to help our policyholders adapt to a world, which as we have seen, can be so suddenly disrupted by pandemics and epidemics. After the unprecedented circumstances we have all experienced so far this year, some aspects of normal life seem to be returning – however, the Covid-19 virus has not gone away and the way we live our lives and travel has changed. We are pleased to be able to provide these cover improvements – to give our customers the best opportunities we can, to help them carry on in a changing world.”
Policyholders are, of course, still expected to follow the government travel advice set by local authorities, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the authorities in the countries to which they are travelling.
The new cover will be shown as an endorsement on your customer’s schedule.
Policy not due for renewal yet?
Don’t worry, if your customer plans to travel before their next renewal date – they don’t have to wait. They can add the cover mid-term to their existing policy from any time after 1st October for an additional premium. Please call us on 0344 893 8370 to make an adjustment.
Rates for the mid-term adjustments (including Insurance Premium Tax) are as follows:
- MTA to add epidemic/ pandemic endorsement (not including Winter Sports): Additional Premium £25.99
- MTA to add epidemic/ pandemic endorsement (Including Winter Sports): Additional Premium £35.16
- MTA to add BOTH Winter Sports and epidemic/ pandemic endorsement: Additional Premium £130.23